Friday, January 27, 2006

It's Gone Crazy




Just when it seems things can’t get any crazier, they do. The day started out just as planned: a very nice graduation ceremony for the police, with lots of TV cameras and picture taking, then afterwards another long meeting with the General. (He calls me his brother now and really seems to like me.) It’s very obvious he is well educated, and held in high regard by his men. I brought up the need for all new police officers going through academy to have at least a basic first aid class, and he tentatively agreed to have it implemented (another big step). Tonight I introduced one of our “New Life” students that teaches a 12-hour first aid class, to the Police Col. I had them talk about sharing the curriculum used by “New Life” (connecting people and sharing information). They exchanged phone numbers and I hope things will happen. During our meeting with the General, he realized he had not presented us with our awards in front of the TV cameras. He then called CTN and ordered then to send the TV crew back to film the exchange. I was given a very nice engraved silver plate with Ankor Wat on it.

We stopped back at the hotel for lunch and were notified of a very large fire downtown (this whole place is downtown). Anyway, Gary and I went to observe. This was a fire that would have made any of our ICs at home hand in their badges and radios and go home. The block here are very large, maybe equal to four of our blocks. There are smaller blocks inside only accessible by narrow passage ways (2-3’ wide). The fire had started in the middle of course and spread to home units on two sides of the block. The buildings are 6-7 stories high with very limited access. Then there are the bystanders--thousands of them--and hundreds still inside the block trying to fight fire with hoses and pans of water. Almost no crowd control. We were in our OESP uniforms which are very well recognized and were able to move anywhere we wanted. (Not a whole lot different than anyone else). The Ladder Truck OESP donated was on scene and truly helped save the day. I will say there were some very interesting tactics. There are electrical feeds (overhead wires) everywhere. I looked at it and thought, “How are they going to be able to raise the stick?” Easy--you just put it up! Those wires will break or pull loose from somewhere. I was asked several times to help command the scene. (I declined.) I was also interviewed several times by papers and TV while on scene. The ladder truck had to be moved numerous times to reach the fire in different areas and sides of the block. Well, after four hours the fire was knocked down and only 40 homes lost. Not bad considering that in that block there are in the neighborhood of 500 homes. Without the ladder truck the loss would have been much higher.

We still managed to meet with the Hospital Director and give the students the written test. They all passed with high scores. YEA!! We handed out prizes to all the students. I have never seen people so excited to get gifts. It was really cool. The girl in the class Lim received the highest score. She had had her moped helmet stolen, so we made sure she received a helmet as a prize. (Talk about excited!)
Tonight we had the party with the General (my new brother) and the students. What a good time. I’m looking forward to next year when Rebecca will be with me. It’s nearly 23:00 and there are still people wanting to meet with us. I have to get up early to meet The Prince, so that’s all for now. I’ll try to post before we have to go to the airport

Andy

No comments: